Kuala Lumpur (dpa) – Family members of passengers who were on board Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will travel to Madagascar next month to search for debris from the airliner.
“We are using our own savings. We need to do something about it. It is important that the search continues,” said Grace Subathirai Nathan, whose mother Anne Daisy was on the flight that disappeared March 8, 2014 after departing from Kuala Lumpur toward Beijing.
“To them, it is just a plane,” she told dpa, referring to the Malaysian government. “But to us, it is our loved ones.”
The group visiting Madagascar December 3-11 includes four Malaysians, two Chinese nationals and one French national, said Grace, who will be accompanied by her father.
They will be helped in Madagascar by Blaine Gibson, a US private investigator who has been searching for the wreckage of the Boeing 777 that was carrying 293 people when it vanished, as well as oceanographer Chari Pattiaratchi.
A statement released by Voice 370, the MH370 family association, noted that all the debris found so far had been collected by the public off the East Coast of Africa – including the island nation of Madagascar.
“Despite these hugely important finds, there has been no systematic, organized search by any responsible party,” it said.
“This leaves the NOKs (next-of-kin) no other choice except to take it upon themselves to do something to find answers and closure.”