The New Times Kigali Jean d’Amour Mbonyinshuti
Displayed with permission from allAfrica.com

The military prosecution, yesterday, called for a 30-day remand of Genocide suspect Henri Jean-Claude Seyoboka to allow for time to complete ongoing investigations before trial can start in substance.

Among the reasons prosecution presented to the military tribunal for remand was the fact that the crimes the suspect stands accused of are serious.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Genocide suspect Henri Jean-Claude Seyoboka »

The accused, a former military officer in the former government forces (Ex-FAR) who was deported to Rwanda from Canada last month, was arraigned before the Nyamirambo-based court over his alleged role in the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.

He was charged with four counts: committing genocide, conspiracy in genocide crimes, murder as a crime against humanity and rape.

The prosecutor, Kayiranga Kayihura, charged that the suspect committed the crimes in the City of Kigali, where he lived and worked prior to and during the Genocide that claimed over a million lives.

At the beginning of the hearing, the prosecutor had asked court to nullify the 19-year sentence the accused was handed during his trial in absentia by a Gacaca court, saying that the suspect was a soldier and had to be court-martialled.

All the parties in the case agreed the trial should start afresh.

Reading the charges, Kayihura said Seyoboka played a role in preparation of the Genocide in Kigali’s Nyarugenge District where, in 1993, he attended a meeting with Angelique Mukandutiye, then a sector leader, and one Odette Nyirabagenzi, both notorious genocidaires, according to the prosecution.

The prosecutor also said that, during the 1994 Genocide, Seyoboka worked with the two women and other militia leaders to kill Tutsi who had sought refuge at the former African languages school in Kigali (CELA), at Saint Paul, and at Saint Famille on various occasions in April.

Naming witnesses, prosecutor Kayihura said Seyoboka trained Interahamwe youths who later committed genocide under his supervision and controlled roadblocks in the Kiyovu neighbourhood of Kigali.

During the pre-trial hearing, Seyoboka, flanked by his lawyer Me. Albert Nkundabatware, denied the charges, saying that during the time the prosecutor accused him of preparing genocide and training the youth, he was a student at the National University of Rwanda and could not get time to attend the said meeting.

He said he should be granted bail because he wouldn’t flee from justice.

Presiding judge Major Gerard Muhigirwa set the bail verdict date as Monday, December 5.